Monday, May 23, 2005

Hypnosis Helps Kids Cope With Needles

Some of you may have read that I have a great deal of interest in using hypnosis to help patients relax and ease pain. I found this article today:


"Adelaide doctor Graham Wicks is one of a few Australian pioneers using hypnosis to treat children with problems ranging from headaches to nightmares.

For children who suffer from kidney disease, the painful prospect of blood tests and daily dialysis can be a scary ordeal.

"Sitting for three to four hours, at least three times a week, and having a large-bore needle thrust into an artery - and I've seen patients who've had dialysis for maybe a year or so, aged 12 or 13, who've suddenly said, 'I don't want to have that any more, I cant tolerate it'," he said.

"And even though these children are told, 'If you don't have it, you're running a grave risk of not surviving', I've had patients who've still said, 'Well that'd be better than what's going on now'.

"They're the ones you can really help [with hypnosis]," he said."

-More on this-
Posted by HypnoKitten at 10:29 PM
5 Comments:

Blogger Janine, at 2:41 PM  

Hypnosis is interesting stuff. My kid brother did a nasty cut job on his finger when he was about 3. The doctor did some form of hypnosis to calm him down to get the freezing and sutures in. He was calm as calm can be. Great article!

Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:18 PM  

I wish my pediatrician thought of hypnosis when I was a kid. I don't know what kind of autoimmune condition I had, but it required weekly shots which literally put a nice little dent in my vastus lateralis AND bum. (I swear, it's not cellulite!) In any case, I am scarred for life - I still hate injections (receiving and giving)!!! =P

BTW, nice pinning countdown. :)

Blogger HypnoKitten, at 12:48 AM  

Bob- Thanks for the linkback. If you find any more nurseblogs from the UK, let us know and I'll put them up. This should be a global list! :)

Janine - I've actually used some parts of induction to relax and calm people who need it. It never goes into the actual 'hypnosis' stage, but you can get someone to chill out very quickly (as long as they're not on drugs).

emjc - Blue Chux fashions it is - but can I wear those sexy slippersocks too?

Marjorie - Do some deep breaths and consciously relax your neck and shoulders (think about it and make it happen), and you should be able to feel a difference. I'll post on conscious relaxation later. It's helpful to use with patients, also.

Blogger Doc Magi, at 8:36 PM  

So I just had to comment on the hypnosis because I do medical and dental hypnotherapy and it does work well on children. I like to give them a magic spot that the doctor can use and it works charms with the kids. I have also done hypnosis on emergency patients at roadsides and it works well. It can be as quick and simple as just imagine doing something you really like and while you are imagining it you will remain comfortable. There is more to it but that is the jest of some of the stuff we hypnotherapist do. Have a great day and nice posts.

Blogger HypnoKitten, at 12:57 AM  

Welcome, Doc Magi. I have not had the time to get too much into the subject of the uses of hypnosis on patients because I've been so busy building up the nurseblogs links and getting ready for graduation. I've taken some classes and read a lot of books myself (see profile) that you probably own also. I will be positng more as time becomes avail, so check back after you go make some B$ billions :) heh. ;)

Post a Comment