Tuesday, May 31, 2005
Night Shift Sleep Cycle QuizNight Shift Sleep Cycle Quiz
by Vicki Cadwell RN, BS, CEN, MICN
Capistrano Beach, California
As published in the Journal of Emergency Nursing 1998;24:377
1) If Helene, who works the night shift, goes to sleep at 9 am and receives a phone call at 1 pm, what is the equivalent time on the sleep cycle of Joan, who works during the day?
A. The middle of the afternoon.
B. The middle of the night
C. It is 1 pm no matter what shift you work.
D. It does not matter because people who work the night shift do not need to sleep anyway.
2) Helene, who works the night shift, has had how much sleep when she is awakened at 12 noon?
A. Enough -- anyone can sleep until noon.
B. Who can sleep during the day?
C. Only about 3 hours.
D. Plenty -- people who work the night shift sleep faster than people who work the day shift.
3) If Joan, who works the day shift, received a phone call at 2 am asking what was charted on Mrs. Smith 2 days ago, how happy would she be?
A. Ecstatic -- Mrs. Smith must have sent candy.
B. Unperturbed -- people have immediate recall in the middle of sleep.
C. Very happy -- phone calls are welcome any time of day.
D. After only 4 hours of sleep, how happy would you be?
4) How convenient would it be for Joan, who works the day shift, to attend a meeting scheduled for 10 pm?
A. It would be very convenient for Joan to wait for 2 1/2 hours after her shift ends.
B. It is no big deal for Joan to work 12 hours and then stay until 11pm or so.
C. It would be like scheduling a 10 am meeting for a person who works the night shift.
D. Convenience is not a factor -- meetings are important and should be attended no matter when they are scheduled.
5) The best time to call Helene, who works the night shift, and ask her to work an extra shift is:
A. 9 am -- that is the best time of day for the charge nurse to make phone calls.
B. Noon -- The night shift person is probably eating lunch.
C. 2:55 pm -- right before "oprah." All people who work the night shift watch daytime talk shows.
D. After she has had at least 5 hours sleep, because that is when you are less likely to get a rude response.
Posted by HypnoKitten at 7:32 PM