Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Night Shift Sleep Cycle Quiz

Night Shift Sleep Cycle Quiz
by Vicki Cadwell RN, BS, CEN, MICN
Capistrano Beach, California
As published in the Journal of Emergency Nursing 1998;24:377


1) If Helene, who works the night shift, goes to sleep at 9 am and receives a phone call at 1 pm, what is the equivalent time on the sleep cycle of Joan, who works during the day?
A. The middle of the afternoon.
B. The middle of the night
C. It is 1 pm no matter what shift you work.
D. It does not matter because people who work the night shift do not need to sleep anyway.

2) Helene, who works the night shift, has had how much sleep when she is awakened at 12 noon?
A. Enough -- anyone can sleep until noon.
B. Who can sleep during the day?
C. Only about 3 hours.
D. Plenty -- people who work the night shift sleep faster than people who work the day shift.

3) If Joan, who works the day shift, received a phone call at 2 am asking what was charted on Mrs. Smith 2 days ago, how happy would she be?
A. Ecstatic -- Mrs. Smith must have sent candy.
B. Unperturbed -- people have immediate recall in the middle of sleep.
C. Very happy -- phone calls are welcome any time of day.
D. After only 4 hours of sleep, how happy would you be?

4) How convenient would it be for Joan, who works the day shift, to attend a meeting scheduled for 10 pm?
A. It would be very convenient for Joan to wait for 2 1/2 hours after her shift ends.
B. It is no big deal for Joan to work 12 hours and then stay until 11pm or so.
C. It would be like scheduling a 10 am meeting for a person who works the night shift.
D. Convenience is not a factor -- meetings are important and should be attended no matter when they are scheduled.

5) The best time to call Helene, who works the night shift, and ask her to work an extra shift is:
A. 9 am -- that is the best time of day for the charge nurse to make phone calls.
B. Noon -- The night shift person is probably eating lunch.
C. 2:55 pm -- right before "oprah." All people who work the night shift watch daytime talk shows.
D. After she has had at least 5 hours sleep, because that is when you are less likely to get a rude response.
Posted by HypnoKitten at 7:32 PM
5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:58 PM  

1. b
2. c
3. d
4. c
5. d

Coming from someone who works nights, I think someone on nights wrote this.

Blogger Kelly, at 10:04 AM  

Love it! I worked 12 hour nights for about 5 years. I didn't mind the shift, though as the years passed my body started to rebel - it got more difficult to adjust instead of easier.

Calls from work at inopportune times didn't bother me as much as the fact that family and friends often didn't seem to understand why I needed sleep during the day.

What DID bug me about work, though, was the scheduling of meetings or the availability (days only) of certain needed services, like getting our PPD read.

Blogger Lisa, at 6:13 PM  

As someone who used to work 3rd shift, this tickled my funny bone... thanks for sharing!!!

Blogger Desiree, at 10:48 PM  

The majority of my shifts are nights, and I won't answer the phone most of the time when I'm in bed - I very intentionally keep the ringer turned off and will often have earplugs in - I'm totally useless on the phone if called after a mere 2 hours or so of sleep! (and it makes it damn hard to go back to sleep again!)

Blogger HypnoKitten, at 6:27 PM  

My husband doesn't get home until 1am, and I will usually stay up and say hi. On my days off, I can't complain if people call, because they don't know I was up 'til three the night before. BUT my mom calls, says "Oh, are you asleep?" and I say "Yes" and she says "Oh. Sorry. Well I just wanted to tell you...." and continues on in her conversation as if I'm awake. Not nice. I've even talked to her about it. She's getting dingy.

Post a Comment