Friday, July 15, 2005

Rodeo Nursing


I came across this the other day while searching for interesting things, and today I had the chance to witness a little rodeo nursing myself.

(She has some cute shirts that say NurseChick on them too.. and one that says "ETOH= Job Security", which I happened to find humorous in my twisted way, but unrelated to this particular experience)

We have a patient going through DT's, partially sedated and hallucinating. He's got on 4-point restraints because he's thrashing about wildly, trying to pull everything out. He's talking to people who aren't there about things that aren't going on. He obviously needs more sedation, but he's got respiratory problems also, so we're waiting for the doc. He's naked and yells (and growls!) at you if you try and cover him up with anything or even put a set of pajama bottoms on him. I really felt for the guy, though. It was surely hell for him, and he was looking at me as if I were one of satan's minions. I kept thinking about that 'rodeo nursing' t-shirt.

Anyway, he's pulling at his wrist restraints and saying to Nurse R "scissors... scissors...". He gets louder and more insistent: "scissors... scissors...". She sort of ignores him and continues with her paperwork. "SCISSORS!", he says loudly.

She says "You're in the hospital, M".

I say "We haven't got any scissors to give you".

He processes this for 5 seconds and says "SCALPEL!"
Posted by HypnoKitten at 4:16 PM
12 Comments:

Blogger Lisa, at 6:23 PM  

"Scalpel" - oh that is HILARIOUS!!!

Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:16 AM  

Funny story! :) By the way, I checked out the link to the t-shirts. My fave is the one that says, "Be nice. I could be your nurse someday."

Blogger Jodie, at 11:56 AM  

Oh, I LIKE that!

Blogger The new Third Degree Nurse, at 5:31 AM  

LOL!! OK, I have to ask (dumb student nurse that I am): what does ETOH mean?

I love the gear; might have to spring for it.

Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:40 AM  

Give that dude all the Vitamin A (Ativan) you can!

Blogger HypnoKitten, at 12:04 PM  

ETOH is the scientific term for ethyl alcohol (ethanol) - the part of the alcoholic beverage that gets you drunk. 100 proof vodka is actually only 50% ETOH.

In the ED they'll use the term ETOH to refer to someone who has been drinking. ETOH is also the part of the alcohol that you get addicted to, so 'ETOH withdrawal' is what our patient was diagnosed with. (and "vitamin A" was definately on his menu!) :)

ETOH=Job Security means that as long as people are out drinking and doing idiotic stuff to get themselves hurt (or pickling their livers), hospitals will never run out of customers.

Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:48 AM  

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAA!!!! I love when they do stuff like that!!!!! What a great post.

Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:57 PM  

I had one patient in DT's who I gave 42 mg of Ativan and 60 mg of valium over about one hour. I found the valium calmed him down while the Ativan made him start yelling and pulling at the restraints again. I kept telling the doc STOP the ativan and let me use valium.

These guys can't stand anything touching them because their sense of pain is all screwed up by the drugs/ETOH and they feel as if everything that touches them is burning them.

Azygos

Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:50 PM  

ROFL. I love ETOH withdrawl patients--they're intense, kind of amusing, and you can see the effects your interventions have really fast.

Blogger Keith "Nurse Keith" Carlson, RN, BSN, NC-BC, at 6:12 PM  

That is so funny! Gallows humor serves us well!

I must say, your site is a brilliant resource for nurses to connect, find one another, and share the craziness of nurseness. I love that you added "patient advocate" to my link's description. Thanks!

Blogger HypnoKitten, at 11:46 PM  

Thanks for the kind words and comments, guys!

Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:33 PM  

Have to admit, the guy thought quick!! Better than the day I had to chase imaginary turkeys away to calm our ETOH down!

Post a Comment