Wednesday, October 18, 2006

All Out of Sorts

I couldn't seem to concentrate today.  Slouched through the morning like a zombie... a listless, tired, bad-tempered zombie.  Spent the afternoon trying to resurrect myself with caffeine and sugar, which is no doubt going to make me feel even worse.
 
So, let's go with a happy story.  Didn't recognise the kid making all the noise today, but man did he have some lungs on him.  Turns out he'd just been 'decannulated' (had his tracheostomy removed).  Wasn't a fan of breathing the normal way, after a couple of years of having a plastic tube.
 
Then his parents were saying hi to me as I was wandering around the room doing equipment checks, and I realised I'd looked after him when he'd first had the trach put in, and for quite awhile if memory serves.
 
So we fixed one.  Cool.
Posted by PaedsRN at 9:54 PM
7 Comments:

Blogger Bo..., at 7:27 PM  

I was in that mood today, too. My only hope is that it'll wear off eventually. (The coffee didn't work for me, and I spilled it on myself in the car...)

Blogger Julie, RN, at 10:23 PM  

Cool, indeed.

Blogger heidi, at 1:04 PM  

Yes, very cool. A good feeling.

Blogger Jo, at 12:27 PM  

That is very cool!
Glad to see you back and blogging again.

Blogger The Angry Medic, at 6:50 PM  

Great high when that happens, isn't it? Doesn't last for long, but then again what does nowadays.

Thanks for the blogwarming present! It was a very nice surprise and very thoughtful of you. I've used your background on my blog and added you to my blogroll. Maybe it's cos of this random-act-of-kindness thing you perform that you survive so well at your job. Many nurses descend into cynicism (and turn into disgruntled bloggers, but that's another story.)

*Arnold Schwarzenegger accent* Ah'll be back.

Blogger PaedsRN, at 11:00 AM  

You're welcome. Oh, by the way, there's a typo in your comment. Where you say "Many nurses," what you really mean is everyone working with sick people. It's got nothing to do with what profession you're in: cynicism is a disease of experience, and it crosses all boundaries of gender and role.

Blogger Mother Jones RN, at 12:50 PM  

Hi Doc....

It feels good when you make a difference. It is cool.

MJ

Post a Comment