Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Sun's Out

It's been awhile.  I've been rather blue lately, unmotivated to blog.  A combination of life's woes and being stuck in a job I don't enjoy.  Hopefully the new year will bring me back to what I love, and in the meantime the sun is out and the sky is blue.

To the woman who drove me to work in her taxi this morning: yes, paediatric intensive care units are open 24 hours.  We don't pack up all the ventilators at 5 PM and go on home.  Sheesh.

I still struggle to explain to people what it is we do here, which I guess is why Nick once called many of my posts 'didactic'.  I feel the urge to lay it all out for people to read, but at the same time to circle the wagons and protect us from scrutiny.  I want to say, we have to make some horrible choices here, and yet you should know we exist.  And yet, you shouldn't worry about us until you need us.  And yet, and yet...

Sun's out today, and I don't have to teach anyone how to bleed the nitric two-stage regulator.  That's got to be enough to feel good about.
Posted by PaedsRN at 7:05 PM
6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:43 PM  

your new layout is gorgous!!!!! hope you start feeling better!

Blogger heidi, at 10:55 PM  

speaking of the new layout, who are the random people at the top? just random people or .?

Blogger RX850, at 10:18 AM  

I use the sun is out frequently to keep going. Hang in! You're not alone. :)

Blogger kate loving shenk, at 5:09 PM  

hi there--

i want to thank you for all the great links you have for all of us on your blog.

it feels like a regular nursing community!!

and i wanted you to check out my "lens"--

"http://www.squidoo.com/katelovingshenk"
and feel free to pass it along--

peace (of mind--)

kate loving shenk

Blogger Bo..., at 4:01 PM  

Yes, hang in there until the blue mood passes. Maybe do something really nice for yourself as a pick-up. My buddy swears by massages and visits to the day spa, but I am one of those strange people who cheers myself up by strolling up and down a busy Walmart aisle, chatting with strangers about whatever's on sale. (There's something about the bright lights and smiley-face signs which sort of perks me up eventually.) I love your blog!

Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:39 AM  

Hang in there. I'm glad you posted! It's nice to know that we all go through this sometimes.
...was the taxi driver seriously surprized at PICU's running 24 hours?
Tha't actually kind of funny...in a sad sort of way.

Post a Comment