Tuesday, January 23, 2007

New Sink

I've been working on the house, I guess I took on a lot because I'm still not finished - but then again I'm sort of slowing down after the holiday. The kitchen isn't quite finished yet, but it's completely operable and missing mostly (mostly....) cosmetic details. I'll post more pics when I've really got it done.

The story behind the sink is that I bought it off of Craigslist for $50. It was the original sink out of a torn-down 1910 farmhouse and the grandson of the owner kept it to resell. It was sitting in his field when I got there, but the rust spots weren't rotted and it was fixable. A few people laughed when I showed them my "new sink" for my new kitchen, but my husband has enough belief in my funny ideas to merely say "Wow, thats big!" and leave me to work some magic on it. After 2 weeks in the refinishing shop and $320 later here are the pics to prove it was well worth it. It is a full 4" long so I had to get two smaller 24" under-sink counters for it. The basin on the right is standard depth and the basin on the left is about 12" deep! Huge!! :)

Here are some before and after pics of the kitchen and sink (the album called "sink" is the public album). The new kitchen isn't really this orange - more like a spice color. Counters are black and the cabinets are pure white. That's a new window too. The old kitchen was even fuglier than the pictures show (and very used). I had to take it down to the studs to replace all of the plumbing, wiring, and insulation - the house is 80 years old, after all.

So whatcha you think - you like-a de sink?

-HK
Posted by HypnoKitten at 6:57 PM
1 Comments:

Blogger PaedsRN, at 1:06 PM  

It is without a doubt the most beautiful sink I have ever seen in my life!

Of course, I don't make a great study of sinks so... that's not as resounding an accolade as it might be ;)

Post a Comment