Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Your Questions Answered

Here we go with some questions from referring search engines, answered for your edification.

You asked: What does ETOH mean?

Ethanol. Y'know, alcohol. Booze. Grog. Plonk.

This one always comes up on the list. I guess a lot of people out there need a drink.

You asked: Funny nursing shirts?

Well, there's these ones.

You asked: "'if i just lay here' 'gray's anatomy'"?

Snow Patrol. See below.

You asked: 75 questions on the NC-LEX?

Yes, sometimes the test does shut off after 75 questions. I've never had to sit the NC-LEX, for which I am eternally grateful. However, I've been on the SNURSE-L student nurse mailing list for years now and in my experience the number of questions you get has very little predictive power as to whether you pass or fail.

So, don't panic! Wait for the results. Take a breath. Drink less caffiene. Go outside. Talk to your family. Do all the things you didn't do while studying for the damn test.

You asked: Nurses work Christmas?

Hell yes. And New Year's, often enough. Depending on where you work, you can usually arrange to get one or the other off. You may or may not be on night shifts. We've tried hard to convince all the sick people to look after themselves over the holidays, but they are by and large selfish creatures and insist on trivialities like breathing and having a heartbeat.

I'm taking Christmas off this year for the first time in ages. It will be quite strange to actually be with my relatives rather than listening to machines that go ping.

You asked: Who implemented mandatory immunization?

Massachusetts. If I may extrapolate from your question the following: "Which US state first passed a mandatory vaccination law?" It was MA, in 1809. If you want to take names and kick asses, you'll need to dig deeper than that.

In the US, although there are no federal requirements, a state can require immunisation against certain diseases prior to school entry. However, there's an awful lot of variation from state to state as to what exemptions exist, and how they are applied.

You can read about the concept here, here, and many, many, many other places.

Posted by PaedsRN at 7:05 PM
4 Comments:

Blogger heidi, at 8:33 PM  

Oh yay all my questions an-swered.

Hmm, I forget what search engine terms brought me here long ago.

Blogger Intelinurse, at 1:23 PM  

Enjoy your Christmas off this year. As a newbie to the profession, Im assuming Christmas spent with fam will be but a memory for me for awhile.

Blogger PaedsRN, at 7:16 PM  

Thanks! I haven't seen some of my family for quite awhile. Reminds me, better get some plane tickets...

Blogger Laura, at 7:34 PM  

working Thdbanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day here....sucks to have low seniority again. Oh well, I will live. After all it sucks worse to be a patient in a hospital for Christmas...this I know first hand.
75 questions for NCLEX eh? I took it back in the day when it was a 2 day test and took 4-6 weeks to learn the results. Fun times!

Post a Comment